As I mentioned, we've been talking about the major religions around the world. This week, we talked about Hinduism, which is so far over my head I am inadequate to even teach it. With a little bit of research, however, I knew way more than my students and was able to lead a healthy discussion.
One of the facets of Hinduism is reincarnation, which is such a crazy idea but also a fascinating concept. I plan on writing more about Hinduism when I have more time, but basically Hindus believe that until they are able to escape the reincarnation cycle, they are constantly being reborn into animals and humans (based on their caste level and good vs. bad deeds). Because of this belief in reincarnation, Hindus believe that animals must be treated with the utmost respect.
Even bugs. Some extreme Hindus believe in non-violence to animals to the extent that they carry around a broom so they are able to brush animals out of the way so they don't step on them. Sounds crazy, but they honestly practice this.
As luck would have it, my 3rd hour Junior class was in a full fledged discussion about reincarnation and respect for animals when a giant cricket jumped into the middle of the room. It was big, black and gross. A few girls screamed. One even jumped up on her desk. And of course, the jock of the class came running to the rescue...to KILL the bug. As his shoe hovered over the cricket (and I plugged my ears so I wouldn't hear the crunch), a girl yelled, "Don't kill the cricket. It could be your mom."
Hahahahahahaha.
He stopped mid-air, shoe hovering over the bug. To kill or not to kill? If he killed it, he would look like a hero to all the girls. If he didn't kill it, he would look like a hero for saving the life of a poor bug. Oh, what to do?
He decided to let the bug live (thanks, in part, to our discussion about reincarnation). The funny thing is that while he was willing to crunch the bug, he wasn't so willing to pick the bug up and take it outside. He quickly sat down. The problem, however, still remained in the room. With one girl on her desk and several more squeamish girls in the room, the bug had to be taken care of. The boys all looked at each other. Who was going to do it?
Finally, someone stood up, picked up the bug, and took it outside.
SHE saved a bugs life, and perhaps the life of some one's mom.
1 comment:
This is so fun! And what an exciting topic to read about in High School- I wish I had more classes like this!
Post a Comment