Sunday, July 22, 2012

A New Friend

Those who know me know I don't like dogs. In fact, I find them quite disgusting. Especially the small ones. The ones with goup in their eyes. The ones that drool. The ones that shed. The ones that bark. The ones that jump. The ones that lick. (Doesn't that pretty much sum up ALL dogs?)

I am pleasant around them, especially when I'm around dog lovers. I have never been rude about it (even though I find it incredibly rude for the owners to allow slobbering, licking, and jumping on anyone other than themselves). I put on a pleasant smile and just don't touch the dogs. On the inside, however, I am crawling.

Despite my dislike for dogs, dogs LOVE me. That is not an exaggeration. Any dog, anywhere, anytime, will run up to me. They will jump, lick and beg for attention. They will sit on my lap if I dare sit down. They will beg to be loved. Most dog owners will say something to me like, "Oh, my dog loves you. You've got that special touch." I smile, try not to touch the dog, and try to walk away (as the dog follows me). They sense that I don't like them, and they beg even more for affection.

My friend, Liz, has a wiener dog. He's actually one of the dogs I find cute, and I don't mind him that much. She has brought him to school on several occasions, and while I have never gone out of my way to pet him, nor do I avoid him, I have always been nice to Sully. When I go to her house, I say hi to Sully and have even petted him a few times (usually with just one finger to avoid all the germs and hair).

Recently, Liz came to my house for pool day. Josh was here (Liz and Josh have become good friends), and they were joking around about dogs. I was off to the side listening (because I have no input about dogs) and Josh says to Liz, "Well you know Shiloh doesn't like dogs, right?"

Nope, Liz didn't know that. I don't blurt out my dislike for them, especially to dog lovers. Like I said, I'm pleasant.

She whipped her head around. I was waiting for the freak out (as most people do who learn I don't like them).

"Oh, that totally makes sense! I wondered because you didn't fall head over heels in love with Sully like most people do. You don't usually pet him, and while he adores you, you just didn't seem that into him. I get it now."

Guess who's going camping with Josh, Liz, and Shiloh this week? Sully!

I guess we'll become friends after all.

No comments: