Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Saturday

After a very late night Friday night to celebrate Kari and Sonya's birthdays, Saturday morning, six of my dearest friends and I headed to Cheyenne, WY, for Cheyenne Frontier Days. Abby, her fiance Corey, Mandi, Amy, Sonya, Kari and I left Denver around 10am in a rented mini van. It took us about two hours to get to Cheyenne, and then the real fun began. We spent the afternoon people watching, browsing the merchandise and looking for cute Cowboys (minus Abby and Corey). We ate dinner at a local bar and then headed back to Frontier Days for the main event: Taylor Swift opening for Rascal Flatts.
Taylor Swift was amazing and a great performer. I enjoyed her music so much. For a 19 year old girl, she has got some talent. While Rascal was setting up their stage after Taylor was done, we realized that we were sitting in the old people section. We could tell we were surrounded by a pretty boring group, but as Rascal began to play, we weren't going to let that get us down. Our group all stood up and started to have fun, dancing and singing to "Life is a Highway." As the song ended, we could hear shouts behind us, "Sit DOWN! We can't see." I wasn't going to let these people ruin our fun, so I told the girls to stand firm and keep standing. More shouts from behind: "You girls need to sit down!" There might have even been a few cuss words. Again, I told the girls that we had every right to stand up and have fun.

And then I about got into a fight. I have mentioned that my life is pretty drama free, but the drama began right about now...Someone behind us threw their beverage on us. I ignored it the first time. Stay cool. And then they threw even more, soaking our backs and hair. I don't normally have a temper, but I about lost it right then and there. I whipped around and a lady was sitting behind us with her two daughters. She was screaming at me, telling us to sit down because no one could see. I yelled back, telling her we had every right to stand and enjoy the concert. And then I made a decision that I am pretty proud about but took every ounce of Christianity that I had in my soul: Rather than dumping my beer on her, I turned around and we all sat down. The people behind us cheered and clapped, yelling that it was about time we sat down.

I was so angry, as were my friends, that I was shaking with rage. It's one thing to ask us calmly to sit down. But it's a completely other thing to throw a beer on us and yell and scream. So cliche, but I had a real "What Would Jesus Do" moment. I came about ten seconds from dumping my drink on them, but I had to make a conscience decision to not let them get me down. It would have been easy to let them ruin my night, but I decided that I would still have fun, even with them behind us egging us on. I shook it off and enjoyed the rest of the night. Rascal was amazing. It was a great show and we were so happy to be able to see them live. For the last three songs, my friends and I jumped down into the standing area (we should have done this from the beginning) and enjoyed the finale from really close to the stage.
It was a long two hour drive back to Denver, but Kari was a trooper and stayed up and chatted with me while I drove home. Everyone else was sleeping in the back, and we all got home around 2am.

No comments: