Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Humiliated

Columbine High School is about 10 mins from my home, so now that I'm teaching, I am very aware of my surroundings. There's a huge possibility that I will see my students often because we all live in the same community. Today after school, I went to Target, which is about four mins from the school. I went to Target for a very specific reason: to get a gift for Abby, my friend who is getting married next week. I didn't go for a gift on her registery. I went for a "sexy" gift. Lingerie, perhaps, or pretty, lacy undies. As I'm roaming through the lingerie section, I suddenly remember that school just got out 30 mins ago and there's a chance my students might be walking around Target. So I kind of hide, and quickly pick out some lace "things." Thinking that Abby needs some "other stuff" to go with the panties, I head to the aisle that holds those items.

If you know me at all, you know this aisle isn't one that I frequent. By this point, I am paranoid Miss Shiloh. I am glancing over my shoulders to make sure no one is watching me. I quickly pick out three "fun" items that Abby and Corey might need on their honeymoon. Now I have panties and three "items" in my hand, visible to anyone who walks by me. My face is starting to turn a little red. I quickly walk up to the front of the store and grab a basket. At least the items aren't in my hand anymore. I then walk to the gift wrapping section to get a gift bag and some tissue paper. As I walk by the registers in the front of the store, I see a guy from church working one of the registers. I panic! HE CANNOT SEE ME RIGHT NOW!!!! What would my church group think???

I duck into the men's clothing section. I quickly walk, with my face turned, to the gift bags. Luckily, I had worn my hair down so it was hiding my face a little bit. I grab what I need and walk to the back of the store. I then walk the entire length of the store to get to the other side in order to avoid this cashier that I know from church. As I approach the registers, the lines are LONG! I stand in line for about five mins. I'm dreading purchasing my items. And of course, it's a man. Why couldn't a woman have been checking items? It's finally my turn. I put my head down so my hair falls in my face. I play with my phone and don't make eye contact. The man is friendly and wants to talk.

"Good afternoon. How are you today?"
"Fine," I mumble.
I continue to play with my phone as he checks my items.
"Your total is $22.50"
I swipe my card, hoping to make a quick escape.
He hands me the bag. "Looks like you're all set!"
Did he mean something by that? By this point, I am so embarrassed that I'm starting to giggle. My face is red and I'm sweating. I'm doing everything in my power to hold back my nervous giggles. I'm not having much luck and my giggle is starting to make noise.
"Have a GREAT Tuesday night," he adds.
I couldn't help it. I was actually laughing as I walked out of the store. I couldn't hold it in. I had to walk across the entire parking lot to get back to my car since I had avoided the cashier on the opposite side of the store.

Abs, I hope you appreciate your gifts! It cost me some embarrassment :)

3 comments:

chemmom said...

I hope it is okay I nominated you on my blog
http://chemmom.wordpress.com
Erin

Holly said...

This sounds a lot like an episode where I had to buy KY gel (jelly?) for my mom to hold a bow in my new baby sister's hair. I didn't know what it was, but was sent in to buy it anyway. Not knowing at all what it was, I had to ask the pharmacist for help. Imagine my embarrassment when he lead me to "the" aisle and red-faced, I picked out a tube.

I also run into my students; actually I avoid it as much as possible. I've been known to lurk around the end-caps at Target waiting for some of my students to clear the aisle before they see me.

: )

Abby said...

Alright Shi, this was my first time to your blog (sorry) and I just read your humiliating story! I can so see you turning all red. I am so thrilled I could help you expand your horizons a bit! And Corey will surely appreciate it!