I have a student who got arrested last night. He was downtown last night practicing his First Amendment Right. He went downtown to report on the DNC for the school newspaper. He also was protesting (what, I'm not sure), but his side of the story states that he was just standing there waiting to go the bathroom, and the next thing he knew he was in handcuffs on his way to jail. He spent the next three hours in a holding cell trying to figure out what his charges were. By 10:30 pm, he was on his way. He arrived at my class (High School Newspaper) and said he needed to talk to me. He said he couldn't report on the DNC because he couldn't report fairly. Rather than a news story, he asked if he could write an opinion piece. The other teacher and I decided that was the best route to take. It was interesting to hear his story.
This guy definitely was a product of stereotyping. He is a super smart kid. He takes Honor's Classes and is very friendly. However, by appearances only, you would never guess him to be that type of student. He has a hot pink mohawk, wears chains and has greasy hair. I'm sure that had something to do with his arrest.
1 comment:
Very interesting! It's crazy downtown.
Post a Comment