Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Students

While taking attendace today, I called out the name Alexander. The students were supposed to raise their hand, and if they went by a nickname, now was the time to tell me.

So Alexander raised his hand and said, "You can call me Alo Kid."
"Excuse me?" I reply back.
A kid yells across the room, "Alexander, you can't make up your own nicknames."
Alo Kid said, "I want to be called Alo Kid. I can make up my own nickname if I want."
The other students snickered.
I told him I couldn't call him Alo Kid, but I could call him Alo, so that's what he is going to be called.

During my Journalism class, the students had to come up with a headline to represent a story that has happened in their life. When asked to share, a young freshman raised her hand. Her headline was, "Family Fight Causes Family to be Enemies." She went on to tell us a sad story of how her family got into a huge fight this summer and they no longer speak to each other. She said her aunt and uncle live five houses down from them and they do not speak. Such a sad story.

On day one, I also encountered a few other sad stories. I think I'm going to hear a lot of disturbing stuff as I get to know my students. It makes me sad to think of some of their lives. But I also laughed many times today. These students are funny, witting and charming. They are too shy to show me their naughty side, yet, but I'm sure it will come out sooner than later. I'm having a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Katie Bee said...

I'm excited for all your stories, kids are too funny!