Sunday, August 24, 2008

Overwhelmed

Last week was a really weird week for me. Let me first say that I am REALLY enjoying teaching. While it's weird for me to hear it, I have to admit that I feel pretty cool when my students call me Miss Nichols. I feel respected. As I'm beginning to learn names, I'm also trying to develop a relationship with my students. I wrote all my students a letter about me, and I had all my students write me a letter back about themselves. One girl wrote in her letter:

Dear Miss Nichols,
I think it's really cool that you want to get to know me. I really enjoyed reading your letter and getting to know you. I hope you enjoy reading my letter as much I enjoyed reading yours. Not a lot of teachers take the time to get to know their students, and I'm really happy that you care about getting to know me.

That letter meant a lot to me because I DO care about my students, and I DO want to make a difference in their lives. A simple letter helped pave the way into their lives. So teaching is going well, and I'm so excited for this semester. But, like I said, it was a weird week. I have a lot of thoughts and emotions running through my head. If you thought I was busy before, you should see me now. Let me give you my schedule:

Monday-School 7am - 2pm; Work 2pm - 5 pm; School work 7pm - 10pm or later
Tuesday-School 7am - 3pm; Master's Class 5pm - 10pm; School work until 11pm or later
Wednesday-School 7am - 2pm; Work 2pm - 5 pm; School work 7pm-10pm or later
Thursday-School 7am - 3pm; School work 7pm - 10pm or later
Friday- School 7am - 3pm

Add to the mix homework for my Master's class, grading papers, working out and trying to have a social life, and I am exhausted. I'm averaging around six hours of sleep a night, and I am so overwhelmed that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about everything I have to do. Needless to say, I don't (and won't) have much of a social life anymore until I graduate in December. It's going to be a long, lonely semester.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I knew it was going to be a difficult semester when I signed up for it. I'm just sad I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. My schedule doesn't leave much time for a social life, and I miss my friends.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Sorry to hear you're so overwhelmed. We promise not to have any fun for 4 months. But you definitely need to take care of yourself first...the bars, clubs, mountains, restaurants, and other stuff will all be there in December when you're done with school.

God has a great thing waiting for you, and it involves these students. You won't be lonely, you'll be busy growing, learning, working hard, and serving!

Psalm 143:6,8, “I stretch out my hands to You, my soul longs for You, as a parched land. . . Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me to walk in the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift my soul.” (NASB)

Shannon said...

It will get better! Jeff thinks that you should spend all day Sunday in bed. We were talking about how busy you've been before I even read this. Take time to relax or you're going to get sick.