Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Police Showed Up!

The Nichols' side sure does know how to throw a party! This past weekend, my dad's parents celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary. Their three children (my dad, aunt and uncle) threw a fabulous party, and everyone on the Nichols' side was able to come back to NE to help celebrate the special day. My counsin from Washington came with his wife and four kids. I hadn't met one of the kids (she's only two) because the last time we saw them was four years ago. My other cousin came from Wyoming, and we haven't seen him in four years. My aunt and uncle came from Wyoming, too. My other counsins came from Hastings and Omaha, and we all came from Denver. Cozad isn't much of a town, but we were so rowdy that the police showed up!

Friday night, we pulled into Cozad around 10pm. I was up until 2:30am playing poker with my cousins, aunts and uncles. And guess who won? ME!!! I've never played a day in my life, but I walked away with $35. Saturday was a day of fun. We started out eating breakfast at my aunt Jan's house, then took family pictures, then had an open house reception, then had a dance, then had dinner, then we ate some more, then it was dark and we did fireworks. Jan had called the police a few days before to find out how much the fee was going to be. They told her they probably wouldn't fine her, but they would show up and tell her to stop. So the rebel that she is, she decided to shoot them off anyway. As predicted, the cops showed up within five minutes. They basically told us they were going to drive around the block, so we needed to hurry and finish up. They said, "We didn't see anything."

By Sunday morning, word had gotten out around town that the police had arrived at the Nichols' home. Word travels fast in a tiny town. Sunday, we all went to church, and the Nichols' cousins led worship. We all can sing, so I'm quite proud of how we sounded. All the little cousins sang Jesus Loves Me. It was a good service and we all had fun singing together. We decided we might have to make a Christmas Album. Then we ate again at Jan's house. Another fabulous meal. After lunch, we sat around and looked at pictures, talked about old memories, laughed about having Nichols' eyes, and just had a fabulous time. We were back in Denver by 7pm.

It was a great weekend, and I was sad to say goodbye to everyone. Jan out did herself once again. This is the same aunt that found the ring in my underwear and helped me at my brother's wedding (story to come). She's a wonderful lady who just seems to go and go and go. She never runs out of steam. She made the cakes, which were fabulous, and I've already hired her to make my wedding cakes. She's on a mission to find me a man. She made amazing food, and I was so impressed with her all weekend long. Thanks for a wonderful weekend, Aunt Jan!

Also, I want to wish my grandma and grandpa a Happy Anniversary, which was yesterday. I love you both and am so proud of you for the wonderful family you have created. I can't wait for the next Nichols' family gathering.

No comments: