Thursday, September 11, 2008

Birthday

I had a fabulous day, and it was all thanks to my wonderful friends. I had a ton of text messages, facebook messages and phone calls. Unfortunately, I can't answer my phone at school, so I've spent a good chunk of time tonight calling people back, text messaging back and sending facebook messages. Thank you to everyone for making my birthday so special.

My cooperating teacher brought flowers and made a cake. The entire English department signed a card, so they helped make the day special. One girl announced my birthday to the entire class during first period, so everyone was wishing me Happy Birthday. My Journalism class wished me a Happy Birthday and clapped, and my favorite class after lunch sang me Happy Birthday. I even had a student come in his off period to wish me Happy Birthday. They are too sweet.

I've blogged about a particular student before. He's the smart one who doesn't do his homework so he's failing. I've really been trying to connect with him and get him to enjoy English. Today after school, I encountered him in the hallway. He was with a group of football friends, and I figured he would ignore me or pretend like he didn't know me. Freshman have a way of being awkward in the hallway. Much to my surprised, he yelled out, "Happy Birthday Miss Nichols!" I didn't show my surprised, but I was pretty shocked he went out of his way to say that to me, especially with all his friends around. Maybe he does like me after all!

I had to stay at school until almost 6pm tonight because I'm helping with the school newspaper and it was a work night. When I got home, Shan had made dinner for me, so we ate together then Jeff went to Cold Stone for my favorite ice cream. I took a long, hot bubble bath and now I'm sitting here writing. All in all, it's been a great, busy day.

No comments: