Friday, October 31, 2008

A Bad Day

I have a highly gifted student in my Journalism class. He has a very high IQ, and his memory is impeccable. He never has to take notes because he remembers everything. I’ve witnessed this first hand. He’s scored almost 100% on every single test I’ve given, and he does not take notes or study for his tests. He’s brilliant, literally. He is a sophomore now, but he’s so smart he’s going to skip his junior year, so he’ll be a senior next year. He’ll be in college by the time he’s 17.

Since today is Halloween, I came up with two fun games for my Journalism students to play rather than start a new topic. As his classmates began to play, this boy is sobbing in the back corner. I am not exaggerating, he was uncontrollably crying. His shoulders were shaking and I could hear him trying to gasp for breath. All the other students were looking at him, and I was completely caught off guard. I went over to him, and he refused to talk to me. He said he didn’t want to talk about it. I asked if he wanted to leave the room for a bit, but he wanted to sit at his desk and cry.

He literally cried through the entire 50 minute class. The other kids were playing games, so they didn’t really notice. Once the bell rang, I asked him to stay behind. He was finally ready to talk. He had just come from math class, and he thinks he failed his Advance Formulas and Trigonometry test. He said he just went blank during his test, and this is the first test he’s ever failed. He was devastated. I didn’t quite know what to say to him. I encouraged him to talk to his teacher and to let me know if there’s anything I could do to help. I told him one failed test wasn’t going to ruin his grade, but he wasn’t quite so positive. His entire day is ruined because of this test.

No comments: