Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Bachelor

I will admit, I watch The Bachelor. It's pretty entertaining as 25 women search for love from one man. Within six weeks, every single girl will have fallen in love with this one man and all but one will have their hearts broken. I'm not sure how many seasons have aired, but out of maybe 15 seasons, only one couple has ever gotten married. Every single other couple has broken up and called off their wedding.

Let me first say that I would NEVER go on a show like that. It would be super difficult to date a man when there are 24 other girls also dating him. I'm not a jealous person, but that situation would lead me to be jealous, insecure and isolated.

What I find so fascinating is that these women are beautiful. Most of them are normal. Most of them are young (mid-20s or early 30s). Some have been married. Some have kids. Some haven't been on a date in years. Some haven't kissed a man since they were in high school. They come from different walks of life. Some are Christians and hold strong beliefs. Some are crazy and only want to make him fall in love with her. Some are widowed. Some are immature.

What I'm getting at is these are ordinary, normal, everyday type girls who are all searching for the same thing: love. They are ready to fall in love, get married, have children, and live a perfect, happy life together with this man.

It makes me realize that I'm not that different than these girls. I want the same thing, I'm just not willing to go on a TV show to find it. Some are older than me, and some are younger, but it makes me understand that I'm not abnormal for being single at 28. I'm very content with where I am today, and I love being able to do whatever I wish whenever I wish. Rather than complaining about being single, I'm working on thanking God for being single.

1 comment:

Holly said...

That's funny that you blogged about this b/c I happened to catch that particular episode (I've never seen it before) and I had a few thoughts...I wondered specifically if it would be something that you (Shi) would be interested in doing...another thought was that they sure do their darndest to portray women as catty (they even use the word to describe the women--frequently)...and, I had to find myself rooting for the one lady that is a widow.