Since I was entering another woman's classroom with another woman's students, I wanted to start the new semester out with a "getting to know you" activity. I wanted "my" students to know that I wanted to hear their story. I didn't just want to walk into the classroom and start The Grapes of Wrath. I wanted to know them first.
I sent them on a book writing assignment. They had two days to write a book about themselves. This wasn't an ordinary book. It was a fun book. On the front page, they had to write a title. It could be lyrics from a song, a famous quote, something they lived by or something they made up, but it had to describe them. The second page was the table of contents, where they had to answer a few questions. The third page was a picture of themselves doing what they love to do. For some it was shopping, others listening to music, others snowboarding. Finally, on the last page, they had to write a letter to me telling me all about themselves.
Many of them were optimistic and told me how much they love music, sports, their family, their friends and cooking. However, many of them had a sad story to tell at the young age of 14 and 15 years old. One student told me how her mom left her when she was 10 and gave up custody of her when she was 12. Her mom wanted nothing to do with her. Another told me how her dad died when she was 12, and her family moved to Colorado to start a new life. Another told me how her dad had skin cancer. Yet another told me how her parents divorce about ruined her life.
When I was in high school, my biggest worry was whether Scott or Chris liked me or Rachel better. Has our world changed so much that a 14 year old child has experienced more pain and hurt than he or she should ever experience in a lifetime? Can I as a teacher help ease their pain? Am I allowed to love them, to hurt with them, to cry with them, to pray with them? Or am I only allowed to teach them The Grapes of Wrath?
I believe my sole duty is to love, to pray, to cry, to believe in them. My second duty is to teach English.
1 comment:
It is sad the know about the homelives some of these kids. They have it rough - which explains a lot of why they are like they are.
Post a Comment