Thursday, January 15, 2009

Morning Commute

I've come to realize over the past few weeks that I LOVE my morning commute. It is my most favorite time of the day, and looking back over my five years in Denver, I realize that I've always loved my drive into work. It's the drive home at night that I despise because by that time I'm tired, hungry and just want to get home.

Since becoming a teacher, I have the shortest commute I have ever had while living in Denver. Columbine is about seven minutes from my house. Chatfield is a bit further, and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get here. Both school are in Littleton, where I also reside. However, I live on the far east border of Littleton. I'm surprised we're even in Littleton. Chatfield, on the other hand, is as far southwest of the city as you can get, so it's a little bit of a trek to get here.

I even got to put my 4WD to use the other morning, which doesn't happen often. As much as people think Denver gets piles and piles of snow (and sometimes we do), it has snowed very little this winter. I think we've had four snow storms so far, but the other morning surprised everyone, even the weather people. Chatfield is uphill since I'm headed toward the foothills, and I got stopped at a light uphill. I had to turn on my 4WD just to get moving again, and I was so excited to be able to use it. That's what I bought the car for!

Anyway, back to my commute...I have a great radio station I listen to: www.alice1059.com. You can stream it from your computer if you don't live in Denver, so check it out. The morning show is great, and they keep me entertained every morning on my drive. Sometimes I get to school and have to sit in my car to finish out their conversation. Then I run inside and start it up on my computer until the bell rings. They are so funny! I drink coffee as I drive, I prepare mentally for my day, and I just enjoy the drive. Sometimes I wish my drive was longer.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

We look for buses on our way to school. Or we listen to Case's music and do the actions in the car. I don't even listen to the radio anymore. Maybe you could count buses for entertainment.