If you haven't heard the news by now, then you went to bed too early and you don't listen to the news. The new president of the US is Barack Obama. No matter who you voted for, it's still a pretty cool thing to have a black president. Our world sure has come a long way in such a short time.
I recently finished teaching the novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, to my students. We did some research on the year 1930, which is the setting of the book. Needless to say, black people were not considered "people" back then. They were slaves. They had no rights. A black man lost just because of the color of his skin.
That was just 80 years ago. For many of us, we weren't even a twinkle in our parents eyes, but take for example my grandfather who was alive in the 1930s. I'm sure he can remember what life was like then versus what life is like now.
No matter who you voted for, remember that God ultimately is in control of our nation. We need Christ more now than ever. I pray for Obama. He has a big job ahead of him. I pray for wisdom and guidance and he takes the burdens of our world on his shoulders. It's a shame his grandmother could not have lived a few days longer to see this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment