Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Saddened on Election Day

Election Day two weeks ago was a big day for me. Not because of who was going to be president but because the voters were deciding on my future. Bond issue and mill levy 3A and 3B were on the ballot for Jeffco County (where I plan on getting a job). If passed, the schools would have enough money to hire some much needed teachers, among other things. If declined, millions of much needed dollars would NOT be given to the schools.

Sadly, the voters in Jeffco County declined the bond and mill levy, so being hired in Jeffco County next year is not looking very bright. In fact, Columbine High School will be cutting 3-4 teachers as it is, which means a job at CHS is only probably if a teacher quits or retires. CHS will have to cut some electives and possibly a sport or two (among other things).

I know that God has the perfect job lined up for me for next year, but it’s still sad to know that the voters in Jeffco don’t care about the schools like they should. Not only are they affecting my future by voting no, but it also affects the children that I teach. Classrooms already are filled to the brim with 30 students per teacher. Do you know how hard it is to teach that many students at one time? It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach every single student.

Anyway, I’ve been kind of sad regarding this vote. There’s nothing I can do about it now other than pray and keep on doing what I’m doing. I'll keep on being a good teacher so someone wants to hire me.

No comments: