I've had a problem student for a few weeks, but things kind of blew up this weekend/today. Let me first refresh your memory. This is the same student I blogged about a few weeks ago. She asked to go to the nurses station because she wasn't feeling well. She left and never came back, so I sent a student to find her. I found out she had not been to the nurses station, but she tried lying to me about it by telling me she had been to the nurse. I told her I knew the truth, which she finally admitted she had been in the lunch room, and I told her she would not be allowed to leave my room again since she had lied to me.
A few days later, I blogged about this same student who was skipping my class and telling her mom I was making the mistake. She was telling her mom she had been in class and I was mistakenly marking her absent. Her mom has been emailing me off and on over the past few weeks telling me I'm making a mistake and I need to change the attendance record to state that this student has been present.
This student missed the entire week last week. Her mom called me on Friday to again tell me that her daughter was telling her she had been in class and that I was making a mistake. Over the phone, the parent told me that her daughter was missing class because all her friends had second lunch (which is when my English class meets). Her mother wanted me to change her schedule so her daughter could eat lunch with all her friends. Then she again accused me of making a mistake with her daughter's attendance because her daughter was adamant that she was present.
Yesterday, I received an email from this mother accusing me of losing all of her daughter's homework (did I mention her daughter is failing because she is missing about 10 assignments?) and for making a mistake on her daughter's attendance. She stated she would be calling my teacher to make sure the correction was made.
I wrote a friendly email back telling the mother that I was not making a mistake and if her daughter was telling her she was present, then perhaps her daughter should tell her mother what we were learning about in class. I didn't hear back from the mother yesterday.
Today, my cooperating teacher called the mother and basically told the mother her daughter was lying to her. Then my teacher went and filed a complaint with the assistant principal, Around the same time, I received the following email from my student:
this is b and im getting into alot of trouble cuz u keep on marking me absent in ur class this week. i was there on wednesday, thursday, and friday!! u marked me unexcused absent and its getting me really mad because im finally deciding to try really hard to pass ur class this year and u keep on making mistakes with my attendence!! i have also turned in a couple of assiignments to u tht u still havnt upgraded in the gradebook. please just be careful with my attendence from now on cus i promised my parents to go to class and u are getting me into soo much trouble!!! thanx
The AP then had the student come into the office. She continued to lie and state that I had lost her homework and was making the mistake. After a while, my student finally admitted she was lying. She had to call her mom and admit she had been lying, and she has In-School-Suspension tomorrow. After all this went down, I was positive this student would come to class today, but I was wrong.
She skipped my class again. After class, I had to go to the Tech Lab to do something. The door was locked, so I knocked on the door. Guess who answered the door? This student. She was so shocked to see me. She hid her face with her hand and quickly walked away. I started to laugh because of the shock on her face to see me at the door.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens if/when she finally decides to come to class. I might have to respond to the email by saying, "OMG, ur email made me lol!"
2 comments:
That is hilarious. I love it when students say that I lost their homework. Then, of course, they find it in their notebook, but narry an apology is to be had.
Wow, that student really does need to attend class because her spelling is embarrassing!
I'm glad everything worked out (on your end) and she admitted to lying.
Never a dull moment with teenagers...
Post a Comment